Pakistan strikes 7 terrorist hideouts in Afghanistan; many feared dead
In response to Pakistan's attack, Afghanistan said that the actions will be met with a “necessary and measured response”.
PTI
-
Several people are feared dead in Pakistan's strike on 'seven terrorist hideouts' in Afghanistan (Screengrab)
Islamabad, 22 Feb
Pakistan said on Sunday that it targeted at
least seven terrorist hideouts in Afghanistan in retaliation for the recent
rebel attacks in the country, with Kabul warning of a “necessary and measured
response” to the strikes.
In the latest terrorist incident, an army
lieutenant colonel and a soldier were killed in a suicide attack in the Bannuarea of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Saturday.
According to a statement by the Ministry of
Information and Broadcasting, Pakistan has conclusive evidence that these acts
of terrorism, including at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, one each in Bajaur and
Bannu, followed by another incident in Bannu on Saturday, were allegedly
perpetrated by Khwarij on the behest of their Afghanistan-based leadership and
handlers.
“Responsibilities for these attacks were
also claimed by Afghanistan-based Pakistani Taliban belonging to
Fitna-al-Khwarij (FAK) and their affiliates, and Islamic State of Khorsan
Province (ISKP),” the ministry said.
Fitna-al-Khawarij is a term that the state
uses for the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
It said that despite repeated efforts by
Pakistan to urge the Afghan Taliban regime to take verifiable measures to
prevent the use of Afghan territory by terrorist groups and foreign proxies to
carry out terrorist activities in Pakistan, it “failed” to undertake any
substantive action against them.
“In this backdrop, Pakistan in a
retributive response, has carried out intelligence-based selective targeting of
seven terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to Pakistani Taliban of FAK and
its affiliates and ISKP at the border region of Pakistan Afghan border with
precision and accuracy,” it said.
The Minister added that Pakistan expects
and reiterates the interim Afghan government to fulfil its obligations.
Pakistan also expects the international
community to play a positive and constructive role by urging the Taliban regime
to stand by its commitments as part of the Doha Agreement to deny use of its
soil against other countries; an act vital for regional and global peace and
security, it stated.
It further said that Pakistan has always
strived for maintaining peace and stability in the region, but at the same
time, the “safety and security of our citizens remains our top priority”.
Meanwhile, Afghanistan in a statement
warned that the Pakistani strikes on the provinces of Paktika and Nangarhar
will be met with a “necessary and measured response”.
“Our borders and the security of our people
is our sacred religious and national duty,” Afghanistan’s Defence Ministry
said, adding that “at the appropriate time, a necessary and measured response
will be delivered to these aggressions”.
It termed the strikes as a “clear
violation” of Afghanistan’s national sovereignty, international law, principles
of good neighbourliness, and Islamic values, adding that the attacks targeted
civilian and religious centres, calling them “clear evidence” of intelligence
and security failures within Pakistan.
The statement said that Afghanistan will
not remain silent in the face of continued cross-border violations and
reaffirmed the country’s right to defend its territorial integrity.
Relations between Pakistan and the Afghan
Taliban have deteriorated due to the alleged failure of Kabul to stop
terrorists from using its soil to attack Pakistan.
Last year in October, the two sides were
briefly engaged in an armed conflict in which 23 Pakistan soldiers and over 200
Afghanistan Taliban soldiers were killed, according to the Pakistan army.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




